Tuesday , 21 January 2020

History made with all-Scottish GFSN Cup Final

Two Scottish teams will meet in the final of the GFSN Cup – for the first time in its history.

The Gay Football Supporters’ Network (GFSN) has run a national, UK-wide league since 2002, and introduced the cup in 2006.

Edinburgh-based Hotscots secured their place in the final with a 5-1 home win against London Falcons last month. Glasgow’s Saltire Thistle appeared to have a tougher challenge, facing last year’s beaten finalists Village Manchester at Toryglen.

saltire2Thistle ended up securing a 5-2 win to reach their first ever GFSN Cup final, but it was far from plain sailing and there was a time when they had to fight their way into the game after an early setback.

Saltire Thistle could have been a goal up after just 30 seconds, when a ball played in from the left found Paul Spicer in space in the centre of the goal and his deft flick of the ball came off the inside of the post and into the arms of a relieved Manchester goalkeeper. Just 2 minutes later another golden opportunity presented itself to Spicer, who sent the ball over the crossbar.

The game continued much in this fashion with Saltire dominating but failing to take their chances. They were punished on the half-hour mark when a Manchester runner pulled the centre backs slightly apart, allowing Steven Holmes to hit a shot which looped over goalkeeper David Barbour and into the net.

With Village Manchester 1-0 up at half-time, Thistle needed to start the second half as they’d finished the first – by piling pressure on the Manchester defence. This approach eventually yielded rewards when Paul Spicer redeemed himself for earlier misses by slotting home through the legs of the helpless Manchester keeper from close range.

saltire3Two minutes later and Saltire took the lead, after Garry Jones was upended by the goalkeeper. Jones converted the spot kick to the delight on the home support.

On 62 minutes, Jones scored his second, volleying home from the right side of the penalty area. This put daylight between the sides, but Village Manchester confirmed they were still in the game only three minutes later when Fairbrother netted for the visitors, connecting with a low cross to send the ball into the bottom left corner of the net.

With tensions rising, a foul on Spicer by Jordan Langford resulted in heads coming together and the referee showing a red card to both players. Moments later another foul, this time on Jones in the Village Manchester penalty area, resulted in the Saltire striker converting successfully his second spot kick of the afternoon.

saltire1Any hopes of a Manchester comeback were dashed when, on 80 minutes, Paul Ainsworth evaded a defender and clipped home to make the score a respectable 5-2.

The two Scottish clubs have had successful seasons to date, with Thistle top of the GFSN Division 1 and Hotscots leading Division 2 on goal difference from Leicester Wildcats.

The date and venue for this historic Glasgow v Edinburgh final is to be confirmed.


Photographs courtesy of Dan Twist. We are also indebted to David Barbour for assistance with the match report.

About Andrew Page

Andrew Page
Andrew is KaleidoScot's sports editor and photographer. An experienced blogger, Andrew was raised in the Hebrides and currently lives in Renfrewshire. Andrew became an active equality campaigner at the time of the Section 28 debate, and has particular interests in faith issues and promoting LGBTI equality in sport. Andrew was shortlisted for the Icon Award's 2015 Journalist of the Year.

Check Also

Caster Semenya by Citizen59

What’s a nice girl like you doing with so much testosterone?

I was never sporty at school. I could run. I could always run. I did ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>