There’s so much going on in Scotland in 2014, here’s our first of a regular round-up of all the latest culture and entertainment news.
- Scotland’s year of major events continues, following the success of the Radio 1 Big Weekend, the Commonwealth Games and The Ryder Cup, the countdown is on to the MTV Europe Music Awards on 9th November. This week it’s been confirmed US mega-star Nicki Minaj will host the Awards at Glasgow’s SSE Hydro. Latest acts who will perform include Ed Sheeran and Ariana Grande.
- Announced this week, The Hydro will also play host to global singing legend, Lionel Ritchie, who’ll be playing the venue in March 2015. The five-time Grammy winner said, “I can’t wait to get back to the UK. The audiences are always so great and I always have an incredible time when I’m in the United Kingdom.”
- Scotland’s annual celebration of LGBT culture, Glasgay! Festival, kicks off later this month and a packed programme of events has been announced. The festival celebrates its 21st birthday this year and features artists such as Stephen K Amos, Craig Hill, Sara Pascoe and Scott Capurro. The cinematic legend, John Waters, of Hairspray fame, comes to the O2 Academy as part of the Festival in what’s sure to be a hilarious journey through his early stardom memories and Hollywood lowlights. The full programme is available to download by clicking on this link.
- Kylie – Kiss Me Once Tour: We’re pretty damn excited at KS Towers about the Queen of Pop landing in Scotland very, very soon. Miss Minogue launched her massive new tour in Liverpool earlier this week and it promises another spectacular show for fans. Often adored by her gay fans, Kylie also surprised concert-goers with 4 new tracks available for download immediately after the first night, including “Break this Heartbreak” and “Wait”, which were co-produced with Garibay, who also worked on the Kiss Me Once album. Kylie sashays into The Hydro on 12th November.
- Jack and Victor continue to give fans a new taste of cult comedy gold with their show Still Game Live, which has one more week to run in Glasgow. As reviewed in KaleidoScot, the show is an absolute belter of a comedy production and has all the familiar faces from the “Craiglang Massive”. Get your hands on the final tickets, you’ll love it.
- American Idol runner-up and out singer, Adam Lambert, is to join UK supergroup QUEEN, on the European leg of their Worldwide tour announced this week. Fresh from appearances in Australia, the Daily Telegraph Sydney describes the tour as “an energetic rock extravaganza”. The group are set to rock Glasgow on 14th January and tickets are on sale now.
- Fresh from her appearance at the Commonwealth Games Closing Ceremony, the iconic LULU has announced her first live tour in over 10 years. The tour will coincide with a brand new album – her first since 2005. The Grammy-nominated songwriter is currently writing and recording the album which will showcase a return to her soulful roots, being both the music which initially inspired her to perform and her enduring passion. Lulu said, “I’ve always loved doing live gigs. After performing at the legendary BB King’s NYC last year and now starting to record the album, I’m re-invigorated and ready to get back on the road again.” Tickets are on sale now for the May 2015 gig at the Clyde Auditorium “Armadillo” in Glasgow.
- Glasgow rockers, Twin Atlantic, kick off their tour at Aberdeen Music Hall on 23rd October, before 2 dates at the Barrowlands then a further 9 dates across the UK. The band played Big Weekend and T in the Park this year, and their lead single, ‘Heart and Soul’, won Best Independent Track at the AIM Awards last month. New single, ‘Hold On’ is out 10th November.
- Horse McDonald returns to the stage this weekend at the Queens Hall in Edinburgh on Saturday and Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow on Sunday, with her “Coast to Coast” tour. Showcasing songs from her current album “Home”, the singer will also debut some new material for fans of the Scottish singer-songwriter and performer.
Got some entertainment and culture news, let us know about it by emailing email@example.com